Monday, April 2, 2012

CRP burn

We're planning to burn a few acres of CRP on April 14. Obviously, the weather has to cooperate, but if it isn't too dry, too wet, or too windy, we'll have a nice big crew. Having enough people makes up for a certain lack of experience on our part. After all, we not only want to burn the thick vegetation on the parts that should be burned, but we also want to avoid setting things on fire that should not be! And it's a nice celebration: we'll plan to take the whole tired, sweaty bunch to dinner at the Santa Fe restaurant in Ethel when we're done.
Anybody have any tips or helpful suggestions about the best (or worst!) ways to proceed when burning CRP?

1 comment:

  1. Update: The elements conspired against us. Unseasonable weather this spring got the new growth started way ahead of schedule, so it got too green to burn. On top of that, it rain this week, with a forecast for more today, plus gusty winds. It looks like we missed our chance this year.